Lawn was built in 1825 by John Thornton Augustine Washington, grandson of
Samuel Washington. The brick house is located on land that was once part of
Samuel’s original plantation. The original house on the property was built of
log and plank by John’s father, Thornton Washington, Samuel’s oldest son. It
was named Berry Hill in honor of Thornton’s wife, Mildred Berry, whose
childhood home on the Rappahanock River was called Berry Plain.
John Thornton Augustine Washington and his wife, Elizabeth Conrad Bedinger, had
thirteen children, three of whom are buried beside their parents at Harewood.
Their son, Benjamin Franklin Washington, was intrigued by the news of gold
discovered near San Francisco. In June 1849 he organized 80 young
“Forty-niners” who left the area for the Gold Rush. B. F. Washington became the
first editor of the San Francisco Examiner.
In the 1940s Cedar Lawn was bought by industrialist R. J. Funkhouser who owned
several Washington homes. It is still owned by Funkhouser heirs and is a private
residence. Cedar Lawn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.